Non Prior Service Enlistment
The Army National Guard has physical, academic, and legal qualifications that you must pass to join. You must be in good health and have no major physical handicaps.
You are eligible to join the Army National Guard if you meet the following criteria*:
- High School graduates or GED holders.
Note: If you have not graduated High School or do not have a GED you can still qualify through the GED Plus Program.
- High school juniors/seniors as long as they meet the age requirement
- Between the ages of 17 and less than 40 ( Persons under age 18 must obtain the consent of a parent or legal guardian.)
- Meet citizenship requirements
- To join the Army National Guard you must have a high school diploma or GED. If you do not meet this requirement, we can help; just visit the National Guard Youth Challenge Program's web site.
- Obtain a minimum qualifying score on the Armed Forces Vocational Aptitude Battery exam (AFCT). Your AFCT score will also determine which job, known as a Military Occupational Specialty (MOS), you are qualified for. Your recruiter will provide you with more exact information and make recommendations regarding your qualification status.
Persons who were born in the 50 United States including the commonwealths, Guam, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and the District of Columbia, are eligible for enlistment. Persons born abroad on a military installation, or born abroad of U.S. parents who were citizens at the time are also eligible for enlistment. Persons considered to be aliens who have been lawfully and permanently admitted to the United States and requested permanent residence may enlist BUT not for any Military Occupational Specialty requiring a security clearance. These applicants will incur a Military Service Obligation (MSO) and they should apply for citizenship within four years after enlistment. Those who do not apply for citizenship by the end of their MSO will not be eligible for extension or reenlistment and will be discharged upon completion of their MSO. Aliens who have been admitted on a temporary basis are not eligible for enlistment. Nationals of the United States, such as the American Samoa are eligible for enlistment.
*Not all the enlistment criteria are shown here; contact your recruiter for exact details.
Visit 1800GoGuard.com for more information.